Friday, August 25, 2006

An Open Letter to Laird Wilcox

Dear Mr. Wilcox:

I had occasion to recently read "The Spectre Haunting Holocaust Revisionism" from Bradley Smith's publication back in 1989. I congratulate you on making a strong point: Neo-Nazism and Hitler apologism indeed remains a major stumbling block for the advance of "revisionism." Writing seventeen years later, I can say with assurance that "revisionism" hasn't gained much ground outside of the Middle East (where it is intrinsically tied, in most cases, to vile anti-Semitism), and the reason is largely because most people conceive of "revisionists" as ultra-right-wing nut jobs. So point taken.

However, you write, "What you see in revisionism (with the exception of the Institute for Historical Review) is several little one-man or kitchen table operations." It occurred to me that now the IHR also has become a one-man operation -- i.e., that of Mark Weber. So I guess my question to you would be this: Given Mr. Weber's long and sordid history as a member of neo-Nazi organizations and the Ron Furey sting that the SWC played on him a year or so before you wrote your article, are you willing to openly state that Mr. Weber is an impediment to your movement? And if not, then why not?

As this is an open letter, it will reside online in two places: RODOH and the Holocaust Controversies blog. I welcome your response in either place. I have CC'ed Scott Smith, director of RODOH, and Mr. Weber on this e-mail.

Yours truly,

Andrew E. Mathis, Ph.D.

2 comments:

  1. Here's the direct URL to that thread at RODOH:

    http://p102.ezboard.com/frodohforumfrm50.showMessage?topicID=260.topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent the writer of this article a long letter shortly after I became aware of it. I can't find it now but I made two main points as I recall: The first was that I am not a holocaust revisionist but I am interested in the controversy and defend the rights of people to say whatever they wish about it. The second is that whatever success this movement has had is a direct result of attempts to stifle it. People wound up learning of holocaust revisionism and many were converted to it by newspaper accounts of authorities imprisoning its spokesmen in Europe and massive and unfair attempts to silence it in the U.S. and Canada. People made the conclusion that if holocaust groups are trying to censor this viewpoint, someone must have something to hide. Laird Wilcox

    ReplyDelete

Please read our Comments Policy